Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Make Mine a Still Life with Tomatoes, Onions and Cheese

"Tiny Dancers"
6 1/2" x 9"
pastel on Wallis paper
purchase info at my Studio 165 Etsy shop
Perhaps just writing about my frustrations at the easel with others has helped.  Feeling back in the swing - so much of life is on a pendulum.  Upon using all the 'know how' I have with still life and pastel,  I covered the surface with the darkest darks and the local color and used Gamsol and a brush to fill in the surface.  Then I worked the colors on top of that to give a rich and heavy look of pastel.  My focal point are those little cherry tomatoes in the foreground...that's why I titled this one "Tiny Dancers". 

11 comments:

Mark Bridges said...

Hi Pattie. This could be on the cover of cooks magazine.

Leann said...

You got it back, girl!!

Pattie Wall said...

Mark - wish it would be - good $. Leann - the 'lizard has been wrestled' and is leaving the studio!

myra anderson said...

this is a beautiful painting!

Ann Rogers said...

I would have pegged this for an oil at first glance...such beautiful rich colors and use of light and shadow.

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Myra! How's the coffee and painting going? ☺
Ann, that is one of the reasons I like pastel once in awhile, for the most part it is easier to just look into the pastel tray and get the right (or near right color) - try it out on a piece of scrap and go for it. I think the dark Gamsol wash helps those lighter colors sing. Thanks for stopping by!

Gwen Bell said...

Great composition, Pattie. Love all the different reds and circular shapes. I too thought it was oil at first glace. Makes me want to give Pastels a try. Beautiful!

Ellen Burkett said...

Love those colors! Beautifully done, Pattie!

Angela Elledge said...

Beautiful composition with an amazing warm palette; very well done!

Lisa Daria said...

I agree with Mark - are they taking submissions? ! I love the reflection of that back large onion -

Pattie Wall said...

Yes, Gwen - give them a try, I think you will be surprised. Thanks Ellen and Angela. Lisa, I think about it. Might have to stretch on out there and make some contacts - ☺

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!