Sunday, September 20, 2009

Where I Stand Sunday



Some times, things aren't so pretty around here, like going into the cellar/crawlspace and checking the "pest" stiuation.  Last night we heard a definite gnawing underneath the house?  in the walls?  somewhere....  Since we were gone for awhile and things get awfully quiet around the farmstead, we figure with the seasons change there is probably a migration from outdoors to indoors for some of the local critters, found some new entrance areas we didn't know were there.  Sure enough there were signs of mouse activity.  We have a large bag of litter on the floor, which last time we were down there, it had a few holes in the bag, but now the entire top of the bag is gone (great nesting material) and it looks as though there has been a barn dance in the exposed litter.  Hope it's not rats.  I  really hate rats.  New poisons and sticky traps had to be set. I don't like killing the "little" guys, but they can devastate your home - so quickly if "unchecked".  We saw where they were bringing the sunflower birdseed in to the cellar and dropping off the shells into the sump pump casing. 


That's it - in the blue, where I found a very cool, pristine colored perfect frog.  There have been colorful salamanders around there, as well. 
 I leave them alone, they seem to work it out.  I know they don't climb up into the walls and chew and try to gain access into the house.  My neighbor offered a cat or two, but with these dogs???  The cats wouldn't be around too long.  
Have heard some "rat vs. dog" stories starring "rat terriers". 
May have to let Hasty Herman, the famous "badger" dog, take care of those bigger guys.


Where I Stand Sunday is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend my life standing. Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend our lives walking on. If you'd like to join me by posting a photo on Sunday of places you've been on your blog/photo hosting site/website, leave a comment on this post telling me where I can find you/your photo and I'll add a link to my sidebar so others can find you.

No comments:

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!