Sunday, December 26, 2010

Where I Stand Sunday

Working in the studio, I am using a lot of imagination as I move things around, tossing things and rearranging my creative space.  You would think that a space this large would have lots of space around it, but it doesn't.  I am a creature of comfort and coziness.  I love LOTS of stuff in a space. 

Thinking of how to arrange it for maximum efficiency, the only drawback is that it has been a certain way for almost 5 years...it was working pretty good...I knew where most things were.  Now, with my REORGANIZATION - which is 'like things' in places together..I may be lost for awhile.  But oh well. This task has taken me a LONG time to get going. 

Each day I said that old Nike motto to myself, "Just Do It".  Didn't work.  I jump started it yesterday and today by moving my concrete block bookcase and reorganizing it.  Oh my aching back...but it WILL be done by week's end and the new year. That is my goal!  Check back to see if I did it! 

Just brought in some magazine racks, from the trailer we used to pick them up.  We got the shelves from my bro and sister-in-law in KC, who bought a house from a guy who sold office furnishings.  Primo items he left there - including a treadmill that will be part of the New Year's res.  Once these cool shelves go together - and they are fun to assemble (rubber mallets make one feel the power..."ooo-ooo-ooo!") -  I can get all my art mags organized, I should be off and running, because in one breath I can recite what has to be moved and where.  I made a little grid out of grid paper, with little furniture to 'scale'.  Tried software online, but it took too long, so I measured things, sat at the drawing table and made my little paperdoll room in several possibilities.   Found one that I liked - taped it down and went with it. So far, so good.  Maybe watching hours of HGTV have helped lately.  Love those shows where they redesign spaces.

One thing that I find interesting, is you move stuff around, neatly put things away with more organization, making it look neater and less cluttered, and you end up with this glut of stuff you don't know what to do with.  It's definitely separating the 'needs' vs. the 'wants'. In that respect it's like the "Cleaning Spaces" show with Niecy Nash.  I am one of those people on that show and have been for most of my life.  Not quite to 'hoarder' status, but a very close second (and hey, don't they say that you are a true artist, if you have a lot of stuff and you are usually in disarray?)  You just never know when you might need that old VHS rewinder, or those 'teaching files' from 5 years ago.  Talk about clutter!

I think I am finally starting to see what it's going to be like. Yeah!
5 Beatles CD's on 'shuffle' really help!
(and yes, I rewrote this from yesterday's post.  I sometimes get in a hurry to post and don't think about explaining myself)
Where I Stand Sunday is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend my life standing. Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend our lives walking on.

1 comment:

Leann said...

Beatle cd's will see you through!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!