Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dog Portrait in Oil


"Karli"
6" x 6"
oil on Raymar canvasboard (which I love)

This dog belongs to a friend that I work with in the summer.  The dog was hanging around the warehouse as a young pup and because the people at this warehouse care very much for strays, they took her in.  She stays pretty much in the warehouse/offices during worktime and my friend adopted her.  This is a birthday present for my friend -  a little late, but heartfelt all the same. 

Karli (I hope I am spelling her name right) doesn't care for me much.  She barks and growls at me, as well as other new people.  Over the time I work there, she doesn't warm up to me much.  We figured it's because she smells my dogs on my shoes, my purse and ME with my dog's smell on me. 
Amazing how dogs can do that!  How do I know this?  Well, one day I walked in with new shoes and the treatment she gave me was decidedly different. 
She is a sweet dog.  Most of the employees love her ~ me included!  I couldn't get a good photo of the painting, as the paint was shiny and wet.  As always - paintings look much better in real life.
Oh - oh - 2 posts in one day...(big smile...)

4 comments:

Mark Bridges said...

Nice. A well groomed stray! I put a photo of Dallas on FB

Maria's Watercolor said...

I enjoyed seeing your portrait of Karli, and the story that goes with her. What a wonderful gift for your friend.

Dana Cooper said...

Wonderful brush work in this Pattie, Karlie is sure to like you after seeing this!
Loved seeing your studio space too...it's so big AND clean, lucky you!

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Mark, Maria and Dana. Mark, nothing to groom ☺. Maria - nice watercolors on your site. Dana - stay tuned, those are old photos...wait til you see the new and improved studio, comin' to a blog near you soon!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!