Saturday, January 22, 2011

Where I Stand (or where my feet are planted) Sunday

I have been looking for a drumset for many years, one that was in good shape and at an affordable price...DH finally ran across a great deal, right here in almost our backyard.  It was a home practice set for the HS band drummer.  He no longer plays in the band, in fact he is one of those seniors 'soon to fly the nest' for college. 

It is a 5 piece set, bass, snare, 3 tom-toms (I love the toms!), a hi-hat, a crash cymbal and a ride cymbal.  One owner...I am able to slam around on it along with music, which is what I wanted to do.  It is set-up in the studio...our neighbors are fairly far away - anyway they aren't next door.   PERRRR...FECT!! 

I play the guitar, the keyboards..now it's time to learn the drums. I imagine I will be self-taught at best - and not real serious. DH will use them as well.  No..we won't have the fingerless gloves, the sweaty locks with the skull and crossbones bandana, the sleeveless T...ha ~ but I will be certain to improve over time!  I am not a natural percussionist but I am determined. 

There are lots of You Tube videos that teach all kinds of "drum" stuff.  I can see myself now, needing a break from painting, turning up the toons and just keepin' a steady beat.  Look out Ginger Baker!
P.S. Weimaraners and drums aren't a good mix...he goes crazy and wants out of the studio immediately.
Where I Stand Sunday is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend my life standing.
Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend our lives walking on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pattie, well well..! You know I am a drummer... Leann maybe has mentioned that. NOT a musician.. a DRUMMER ! The guy in the back who doesn't sing. Who sits while the rest of the band works out the chords and harmonies... who gets to the gig earlier to set up and leaves last and doesn't get the groupie girls... But its very fun.. slip on some headphones and GO GIRL !
Mark

Pattie Wall said...

Well that's right!! Mark you are a drummer! And a drummer IS a percussionist musician, so yes you ARE a musician! Wish you were here to teach me a few things. I sit at it everyday and bang! I watch videos, I emulate others. I listen really close to hear the different pieces of beat in the music and copy little vignettes if I can. I always thought that it was a prize if you got the drummer's attention...it sure was back in the day...ha! Thanks for your comment! And you know the studio, don't have to use headphones - I just sit in front of the speakers and turn up the volume as loud as I want.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!