Monday, April 9, 2012

Almost Standing Monday

My in-laws visited from New Mexico - Easter Eve and Easter.
Standing behind me is a person (my sister-in-law, June) who has broken both ankles, separate times...same place, same hiking trail..the last one required ORIF (open reduction, internal fixation) surgery like mine.  Two and a half years later there are NO signs that she had these breaks or this surgery.  She hikes daily and rides her horse among many other physical activities.  She is my inspiration. I am one of those - "if she can do it, so can I" - people.  It's been 60 days without one 'step' on my left leg.  My muscles have atrophied to about nothing.  We are getting ready to begin the "physical therapy stage" of this ordeal..
and I say WE, because beside me all the way is that guy to my right. 

Love, compassion and understanding are a couple of things, but when care is needed that goes beyond those 'givings'...he has been there ALL the way.  I am talking about the sleepless nights, encouragement when it seems like the sky is falling all around me, helping me deal with pain and daily care, prepping meals, always thinking of me - first - helping me do about everything but breathe....and then reminding me to.  I am a lucky person, for as old as this whole ordeal has become for me, I know it's become twice as much for him - but you wouldn't know it.  I am stronger because I have had his shoulders to stand on.  It's always been that way.  Most importantly, now I am going to work on my own strength, so I can 'pay it back'.

3 comments:

Leann said...

Congratulations on making it this far, it ain't easy not walkin'.
(I like the beard on G.)

Dana Cooper said...

Glad you have such great support, Pattie...good luck with the pt!

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Leann and Dana.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!