Monday, April 23, 2012

What's ON and OFF the Studio Easel

"Spring Feeding"
8" x 9 1/2"
pastel on burgundy Canson
Gestation for polar bears (ursus maritimus) is 8 months, where the mother slips into a spot beneath the snow in a slowed metabolic state.  Upon birthing her young and emerging from the den, the cubs need to eat often. The mother's milk is rich in fat, provided she is able to catch food and eat for herself. The cubs will stay with their mom until they are about 2 1/2 years old.

Making up for lost studio time, I began another pastel.  These are flower pots that appeared in many places on the garden walkways at Hotel Atitlan, at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.  More work to do on it..but I needed to let my colors 'fly' a little after the three pieces in the polar bear series.

2 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

Firstly, I love your 'Spring Feeding' piece...great series! So interesting to read the info you provide on polar bears too.

Secondly, OH so pretty! Love colourful plants in terracotta pots!! I've had soft pastels for years but have never really tried them...I'm tempted ~

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Serena..I have been loving the chance to get something other than watercolors done as I return to the studio for more intense thinking and planning. You would love pastels..the dusting bothers me, but I try real hard to not get it going in the air, but the colors are more vivid and lots of fun to blend and mix them. They are worked so much like oils, I often do an oil, then a pastel, then an oil...and so on. Fun to try different surfaces too. Sanded pastel paper my favorite.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!