Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Source Photographs That Go the Distance


"Shadows in the Wind"
6" x 6"
oil on Raymar canvasboard
for sale at ETSY HERE

 Continuing to attempt a different idea with my portraits and figurative paintings...this one is painted from a photo I took YEARS ago, when I was taking portraiture classes with Dodie Rufner/Ballentine in Colorado.  I was fortunate enough to go to the model's home, pick her up and drive her across Denver to Littleton, to our painting session.  She was dressed, as you can see - in full tribal dress.  I remember her being very quiet.  If I remember right, Cherokee?  And because I don't remember I will research and be sure about it before I state it definitely.   I have class notes somewhere in the studio...
maybe the information I need is there.  

The photos I took that night and the opportunity to paint her from a live session have given me MILES of painting pleasure. I remember I have painted her in different poses maybe 7 times over the past 30 years.  I only have one painting that is still with me.  

She is painted with 'eagles' in the wind.  These last two paintings may GO bigger this winter.  I like the bold colors of this one.  I have so many ideas in my head for the next one...I can't decide which one.  It may be an eeny-meeny-minee-moe.  This is me, who usually has to reach and stretch so far for the next idea.  So, keep em coming muse!!

I LOVE this time of year...the haze in the morning, the cooler temps, the good sleeping weather that it is!!  The trees here are gaining in the yellow/orange change.  Because the drought left this area so drab and colorless all summer, it's a good thing!  How is it where you live?



No comments:

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!