Monday, October 15, 2018

Day 4 of Alla Prima Westcliffe

Don't ever follow me too closely on county roads or in light traffic, as I am known to take my Jeep to the roadside at a moments notice.  Clouds are especially attractive to me. On so many occasions, living in Colorado, the clouds are unique and different - more so than anywhere else on earth. I always say, you could blindfold me, take me lots of places, drop me back here and by looking at the skies, I would know I was in Colorado.

This was one in particular I took on my way to my painting place looking to the south - the Spanish Peaks in Huerfano County -  on Day 4. 

This day I went back to the place where I painted on Day 2.  It has a special magic there.  Luckily, I got to meet and talk to the owner in person, as she was there for a little bit.
Such nice people.
I painted most of the morning in OIL, and it bombed, as oil was bombing for me the whole entire week.  So I ended the afternoon, with the shade on the right side of the tree changing to the shade on the left side of the tree.  Always interesting with plein air painting..the sun and the weather can change so quickly. I remember the sun was intense, almost to the point of not being able to see
the scene and colors as they really were.
This is the more successful outcome of the day's painting - in PASTEL.
"Ready to Turn"
pastel and Inktense pencil
10" x 14"
sanded paper adhered to board

ADDENDUM - AGAIN I forgot, but who could forget this night?
A world famous Disney Animator was giving a presentation at the local
theater. Aaron Blaise worked for many years for Disney and was an 
animator/artist of animals since he was a little kid growing up in the Everglades
of Florida.  He offered his talk "A Persistence of Vision" with video, slides and a screening
of the Academy Award nominated movie "Brother Bear" which he co-directed.
Such an interesting life and passion he has.  A life that any artist
could possibly dream of as they were growing up.
I know I always wanted to work in commercial art (did a few things that may
have counted as commercial art, but on my own - as a freelancer. Never hung
up my sign as "Commercial Artist".)
What was so great about this visit is that the next day - Aaron also gave this presentation and did
some drawing for the kids at Custer County Schools.
Also forgot to mention that there were several high school students who
were on the 'deserving end' of scholarships toward that Tim Deibler workshop
on Sunday.  The kids in this county get LOTS of outside experience and influence
from people who come to town as artists, musicians, actors, etc. It's all 
built into the Wet Mountain Valley community funding.  Great place
to raise a family, so many experiences, so much culture!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pattie this is gorgeous!!! I know the clouds in Colorado are so awesome, but hopefully you'll get to Kentucky. The clouds here are just as awesome but in a different way.

Chris Lally said...

Glad you hung tough, Pattie! Great artwork.
And the clouds! I've never been to Colorado, but I know what you mean about looking at clouds.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!