Sunday, February 23, 2020

Where I Stand Sunday


Standing in the studio, with a foam mat under my feet (and sitting at the drawing board because 'standing' eventually creates a stir my arthritic ankle) is where I have been most days of this past couple of weeks. (Fat Cat is getting ready to leap through the underneath of the Sorg Easel, foil is for catching pastel dust if I am standing doing pastels.) So many things going on right now, but 'looming the largest' is getting some painting done for an upcoming art show ~ our first of the 2020 season, at 3rd Street Gallery in Westcliffe.  Intake is in 2 weeks, and if  I paint in oil, it needs drying time.  

Oil paint and I have a 'love/hate' relationship these days.  But as in most cases, 'you win some, you lose some'. It's all practice.  

Procrastination is my middle name, so I have taken the time to play around with a new medium for me, Casein.  It is a milk emulsion based 'gouache-like' paint which smells strange and acts differently than what I am used to with water-based mediums.  The jury is still out on that one. However, I enjoy the chance to try on something new.  I have finished a pastel or two and a few oils.  This is ALL after I spent weeks on some weaving at the large weaving loom.  That's another blog post - coming soon.

Thanks for visiting.  Here is a photo of a dog portrait, I couldn't resist to just paint and have fun with.  It's a 'family dog' named Izzie.  I think they call her 'Princess Izzie'.  She has these unique eyes (of course that is what cued me) and her ears have this perfect edge striping, black and white.

"Izzie"
oil on canvasboard
10" x 10"

"Where I Stand Sunday" is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend
my life standing.  Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend out lives walking on.
I am not the only one who posts about this - google it.

2 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Oh Izzie is great! Welcome back, So do you have a website anymore or just the blog?

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Barb. My website will cease to exist in a few more days..at least the FASO one. This blog will be it for now. Don't plan to leave it again.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!