Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Watercolor of a Kitten

"Meeka"
8" x 11"
watercolor on Arches

Watercolor is NOT my forte - but I have decided 
I need to change my feelings about it.
Yes, it is a 
'put it down and there is NO correcting it' 
kind of medium
and I think that is what gets to me about it.
With oil and pastel and even acrylic - 
the 'correction gods' are forgiving.

However, I have lots of paper, 
lots of paint, 
just need the patience to 
keep on painting and not worrying
that it doesn't turn out
exactly like I want.

This one I am satisfied with...the end of the nose
didn't come out exactly like she looks
but it's close!

I have been collecting ideas on Pinterest
on making 'smash journals' - 
you can check it out by googling that one.
Made myself an "inspiration journal"
in which I can collect ideas, sketch,
paint, plan, doodle. It's kind of 
a personalized sketchbook at least
that's how I will use it.
I will share it soon.  
It has been fun ~ sort of 
breaking away from the norm with making this journal
for the last few days.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This kitty is so darling, I can almost feel the anticipation of this kitty bouncing off in chase of a butterfly! It is as if it is just about to pounce, can feel the motion coming! Love the fresh spontaneous strokes too! Girl, you've got watercolor down pat!!!

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Vicki!!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

I don't know if you get follow ups from my blog so I'm posting here my response you to your comment on my blog: Thanks Pattie, you were pretty ill during those last few days so it is no wonder you didn't see this one. No, it is not me, but my mom when she was around 13! Yes, I have survived and I am presently working on 6 smaller paintings for a fund raiser for the Rochester Contemporary Art Museum in NY, 6" sq. each. Have to send them out by the end of March. Also working on 2 portrait paintings and finishing up the varnishing on a 3rd. I really got a sense of clear direction by doing this challenge. Teaching and preparing is continuous but I am thankful for the opportunity. Love seeing your new paintings too!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Love everything about this one, Pattie. Beautifully painted!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Despite watercolor's unforgiving nature--this here kitteh looks pretty effortless to me. I love it!!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!