Sunday, October 4, 2009

Self Portrait


"Self Portrait"
12" x 16"
pastel on velour paper
Karen Hargett completed a recent self-portrait on her blog, that she did as participation in an art challenge found here.  It is called "Following the Masters" by Michelle Burnett. (She posts the submissions when she gets to it, so check back to see if mine was added later.)

I decided I was ready for this challenge.  I have done MANY self portraits lately - lacking correct likeness, but this one is THE ONE of TWO that really DO look like me - the other one being one I did in college many years ago.  The rimless eyeglasses were interesting, as they created some highlights on the skin from the lenses.  I did some weight loss tricks...I could stand to lose a few.  Wish it was that easy.
Now I see what I CAN look like - if (and when) I do. That's called "artistic license", right?  HA! 
Ooops, I see a little piece under the nose, that didn't get worked.  Will post the correction later.

9 comments:

Leann said...

Pattie, this is wonderful!!!

Mark Bridges said...

This came out well. I'd say spot on. :)

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Wow! this self-portrait is great and great technically too!

Ellen Burkett said...

I said to myself, "What a strong woman!" when I saw it. Then I saw it was you. Was I right? Then you did an excellent job! In any case, I like it!

Pattie Wall said...

Until I broke my wrist a few years back and have had to back off the heavier work, hubster used to call me "utility woman". I still am at heart...ha!
Thanks!

Pattie Wall said...

Oh, and I think you mean another kind of strong, too. Yes and yes.

Ellen Burkett said...

Yes I did... a powerful strong woman. I wasn't thinking of physical strength. But it's good to hear you are that as well. :o)

Karen Hargett said...

Love it - I'm glad you did it. BTW - thanks for the mentioning my blog ;-)

Pattie Wall said...

You're welcome Karen, I think you and Max are fantastic!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!