Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yellowstone Park Landscape in Oil

It doesn't have a title yet...this is done from my photo along the Gibbon River near Virginia Cascades in the Norris area of Yellowstone National Park.  I have really enjoyed painting this one!  Each day (5 days worth) I would bring it into the house and prop it up in the kitchen so I could evaluate it with that day's progress.  The reason being it is LARGE - 24" x 30".  When painting this big, it's so much about the background, midground and foreground.  Each area has a little different treatment and focus.  As you saw in my last post on Day 2 (click here to see it quickly), was getting the canvas covered with midvalues.  From there I worked up and down the value scale and color temperature.  There is a few spots I see that I might rework a little, but overall, I am pleased with the results.  I have tried different frames on it..at the Frames by Mail website you can 'try on' different frames.
I need to keep looking.  There hasn't been the perfect one found yet.

7 comments:

suzanneberry said...

this is incredible! i love seeing it develop, just beautiful and lush. great palette and brushwork!

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Suz - I wished I would have paid more attention and taken a photo of it each day, but I get sooo caught up in the painting, I forget to do that. Summertime landscapes seem to be the more difficult for me..I kept wanting to add some fall colors in the ground cover.

Unknown said...

Pattie, absolutely beautiful painting. What patience, I'm a get in, get out kinda painter. Thank you so much for your very kind remarks on today's post. Good luck with your parents...it's hard watching them age. Can't image trying to provide support 300 miles away.

SharonWrightArtist said...

Magnificent piece, great composition, can't take my eyes off it. A large format certainly suits you.

Leann said...

Wonderful, Pattie. I can't imagine working on a painting that large. Beautiful.

Pattie Wall said...

Thank you Kelley, Sharon and Leann. Taking a day off for -huh? what's that you say??? Housecleaning???? Oh my! The Easter Bunny would have trouble getting in cause the Dust Bunnies have taken over!!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love, LOVE the diagonal patterns in this, Pattie. You've really done a fantastic job here!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!