Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Portrait for a Couple of Days


"Red Mischief"
9" x 12"
oil on gessoed board
I saw this photo on the internet and wrote to ask permission to use it. I think redheads are such good portraiture material.  Under the skin - is a transparent blue-ish tone when in light.  This nephew, Russy, of another artist, Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) and his pose were just what was needed on the easel these last three days.  I have another portrait completed that I will post on Friday.  Wow - working on two at once has it's challenges - I think the big thing about it is, I just didn't get too wrapped up in it - could stay loose and move on - going back and forth between them.  At least that is my experience and process for the last three days.  May have to try that one again. 

10 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

**Screech!!** It's brilliant!! Oh gosh, Pattie!! I love it!! As the proud Auntie of this little Sweetie I can tell you, you captured a great likeness. ...and my oh my how beautiful the warm yellows are!! I've been trying to call my sister and tell her about it, but she doens't pickup. She's gonna FREAK out. Thank you SO SO much. What a huge treat, you made my day!!

Pattie Wall said...

That's all I need - an enthusiastic approval! Thanks, Diane. It was immensely fun to paint!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Love it! Again you captured the personality! Awesome! Interesting the intense yellows and orange work great, most times these colors are too overwhelming for me but you got the mix right!

Anonymous said...

Yes Diane is right, It is awesome. Thats my Russy Roo. You did a fabulous job Pattie. Great work!
Debbie (Dianes sista) (:

Angela Elledge said...

Pattie, this portrait is beautiful! There are so many things that I love here, the composition is awesome - as in the strong blocks of color, love the cast shadow of the chair on the tablecloth, and the warm glowing light; very well done!!

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Debbie and Angela! He needs a little tweaking on his expression still, but I think he is such a cutie - however he looks!

Susan Carlin said...

I love this, Pattie. The composition is fun, too. Hey, you're good at hands! (Always a struggle for me...)

Leann said...

Wonderful portrait. You can see the wheels turning in his head.

Pattie Wall said...

Good at hands...those are roughed in at best, not my focal point. I just suggested them. I am scay..rrred of painting hands. Yes, this one has a penchant for mischief I hear. You can see it, not even knowing him.

Dana Cooper said...

This is a wonderful portrait Pattie...you seemed to have captured his essence!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!