Sunday, December 23, 2007

Where I Stand Sunday


Sorry- this is a little late, slept in today and got everything out of whack! As a diversion, or perhaps a good excuse to be doing art at this time of year, here I stand in my studio. With the cold, snow and ice, it seems there is nothing else to do, ha! Never thought I would be saying that! Lately I have had lots of studio time, then I see people who do a phenomenal amount of (practice and other) work and think, I am only touching the tip of the iceberg, and I am retired from a full time job! They must have no commitments other than art..no laundry, no dishes, no meals to cook, no family, nothing to do but paint or create.
I continue to experiment with different mediums. I still come back to my old favorite, pastel.
Below is another portrait of my daughter (I think I do her portrait so much because she and I look a lot alike, commensurate with time of life and age, I think about her a lot of the time). I loved this photo, as her hair was sooo long. She now has short hair with the new baby, who she says is grabbing her hair now! Doing a portrait with 'teeth' showing is difficult, I try to choose source material without teeth, but it's time to tackle the TEETH! I may have to work a little more on that part, but the size of the piece doesn't lend itself to do much more, especially because the surface - Canson paper - doesn't take much more pastel at a certain point and I don't use spray "fixative" anymore (not good for breathing, which can be difficult at times for me).

Jessica, pastel on Canson paper, 12 x 14

Where I Stand Sunday is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend my life standing. Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend our lives walking on. If you'd like to join me by posting a photo on Sunday of places you've been on your blog/photo hosting site/website, leave a comment on this post telling me where I can find you/your photo and I'll add a link to my sidebar so others can find you and I will also let Fibra Artysta know, so she can you on her web sidebar if you'd like.

No comments:

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!