Thursday, February 22, 2018

Day 22 of Painting 30 Paintings in 30 Days

"Vulture"
10" x 10"
oil paint on canvasboard

This one turned out really well, I think, I found this great brush in my
stash of art brushes that 
'flick fuzzy feathers fairly fast'!
How's that for alliteration?  I have been enjoying finding the more obscure
creatures that have meaning to us humans in this challenge.
Vulture was so fun to paint.
Dilemma on this one, where to sign my name, there are
such good feathers at the bottom, and I am not sure signing
on the top of the painting is going to look right.

AS a symbol, to the Mayan mind the vulture was observed as a death eater. As a consumer of death, the Mayan felt the vulture could also convert death to life. So, the vulture was considered a symbol of cleansing , renewal and transformation. It's also associated with water and the vulture controls the rain. (got that from googling 'vulture as a symbol')



2 comments:

Wild about Painting said...

I love the face of a buzzard. I know I'm weird, but they have such character. Great job! One of my faves of this challenge!

Pattie Wall said...

Thank you Karen, until I painted it and really studied it's nuances I didn't appreciate them either. They are good for taking care of carrion, natures clean-up crew.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!