Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Day 7 of Painting 30 Paintings in 3 Days


6" x 6"
pastel on pumiced and underpainted gatorfoam board
(OK have to admit, at first I thought I was painting a hawk but after
much scrutiny, I see I have a Falcon.)

I should know this as I once painted an Egyptian scene with a falcon in it but falcons are
the symbol of the rising sun in Egypt, known as Ra.
He is a solar symbol meaning success, victory and a winning situation.
Not knowing the physical difference  - just like the bobcat and lynx, who has time to catch all the details to tell which one it is - 
they are quick and one doesn't get too close to humans.
The following I found online because I wanted to know the difference between a falcon and a hawk.  Seems that when people post photos of them - even they don't know there is a difference.
"1. Falcons belong to the same genus while hawks fall into several genera.
2. Falcons have a notch on their beaks while hawks have a simple curve on the beak.
3. Falcons grab their prey with the beaks while hawks use talons on the feet to kill prey.
4. Hawks are generally larger birds than falcons."
Read more: Difference Between a Hawk and a Falcon | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/science/nature/difference-between-a-hawk-and-a-falcon/#ixzz56QVxoI9o

2 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Pattie, you are killing this challenge, just fantastic paintings. I keep saying I will do this one of these times but I seem to stay so busy. By the way your studio space looks great, I’m jealous.

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Barb - it is definitely an eye opener what you can do in 30 days if you put your nose to the grindstone...it is good practice if nothing else. And I am pumped right now with the new digs - if I remember right, one hits the wall about number 24 or so. This one I planned ahead on my ref material, so hopefully it will be all about - can I paint it or not? Staying small has helped too. Thank for stopping by!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!