Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Day 6 of Painting 30 Paintings in 30 Days

6" x 8"
pastel on pumiced and underpainted
gatorfoam board

Deer is the spirit of kindness, softness and gentleness.  Just
think back to Bambi and his momma in the movie, right?

Native Americans see the DEER as messenger.

Interesting that deer antlers are like a crown.  The fact that antlers
fall off and the grow again is said to be
a symbol of regeneration.

One thing I notice, when I turn on the outside light
before sun up to let the dogs out
there are sometimes 'bucks' bedding
down behind a small hill out the backdoor.
Their speed and agility to get the heck out of there
amazes me.  And then on the other hand
there are local deer in town, that brazenly
graze the day away in yards and gardens there without
a care of who watches or gets too close.

To me, it's always a treat to photograph a deer.
That's the only way I could ever shoot one.
In recent years, there are areas in the U.S. that are overpopulated
with deer.  As many of you may know of or perhaps it has
happened to you, that a deer met with your car on the road.
My dad had a pretty good one, almost totalled his car.
Glad he was OK.  But
with that, one can see and understand the
thought behind culling the herd.

2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Always better to shoot an animal with a camera in my book.
Love this deer. Gotta be my new favorite (so far, that is).

Pattie Wall said...

Thank you Chris - Love your new google photo!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!