Thursday, January 3, 2008

Getting Involved

Last month I attended a meeting of the "Solomon Valley Palette Club". It was their Christmas Party. We met in Gary Ozia's gallery in Downs, Prairie Wind Gallery. Gary is a painter and a pastel'er'...awesome work! We exchanged little 'art' pieces. Gary got my "Kira's Horse" (see Dec. 12 post) and I was the recipient a great pencil drawing by Larry Zvolanek of Osborne. There was time for critique of what people brought at the close of the meeting. This club is for all artists of all calibers, from beginners to beyond. There are about 25 members. The club is assisted by the Downs Art Council. Gary, being more busy than he has been in the past with galleries, painting, showing etc., is stepping down as the groups newsletter - facilitator. I volunteered to take over. We meet each month at different people's homes or galleries. It's a fun group with really nice people and helps promote art for people in the surrounding communities! I am excited about the challenge.
I am also thinking about starting a small group instruction in pastel in Lebanon, maybe in the spring or summer, I am going to call it "Old Hands at Art". There are a lot of retired people there, who would enjoy learning something like pastel. I always thought I would retire someday in an area where I could do this. Now here I am, quicker than I knew, promoting artists and art!
Meanwhile I am getting ready to be juried into (hopefully) the North Central Kansas Artists' Association, a group for more aspiring professionals. So, got some matting and framing to do. That's on the 13th!

Some of the members of BOTH groups - at a class held in Logan in November, Kathy, Joyce and Jan.

No comments:

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!