Friday, July 20, 2007

Swarm of Dragonflies


This evening as I was standing on the driveway, I couldn't ignore what was happening in the air above my head. There was a swarm of maybe 50 or so dragonflies, flying to and fro in a frenzy (hopefully eating mosquitoes). I often observe "anomalies" where I live. I wonder if, in this instance, maybe the atmosphere was just right..it was humid and hot most of the day, and then there came a small breeze and it cooled down a little. I walked out to the road and down to the other driveway entrance, the dragonflies were around our big tree, also. They were just over my head, I could have reached out and caught one. Dragonflies are very cool!In the last few nights, the cicada's song has been "deafening" at dusk. A friend in town said that there is an old wives tale that hearing them means that we will get our first freeze in 6 weeks. Ha, that is the end of August. I don't think I am ready for that one. Cicada's song reminds me of my childhood when we would visit my grandparents in St. Louis and stay out at night and play in the alley that was paved with bricks. It was the first time I saw one, we found a dead one in the grass. Up to that time, it was a such a mystery to me about what was making that strange noise. You just don't see one of those very often.

No comments:

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!