Sunday, February 28, 2010

Where I Stand Sunday


The internet has opened up the global floodgate of information, along with an opportunity that I came to the realization of this past week.  We have a tractor that is Japanese, it was used to farm in Japan. All the placards and signage on it is in Japanese. Being an operator of lots of equipment over the years, hubster has no problem operating this one, but it would be nice to know what is written on some of the little signs splattered here and there.  I have been taking photos of these little plaques.  We are in communication with Victoria and her husband, who live in Okinawa. You may remember, Victoria and I swapped portraits last year for Karin Jurick's portrait challenge.  I asked, and they are going to try to translate for us.

We have spent the last week or so, doing the 'finish work' on our recycled kitchen.  The cabinets - are new to us...but are hubster's brother's old cabinets from New Mexico.  We finally got the crown moulding installed above the cabinets. It's been interesting taking a kitchen out of one place and totally reconfiguring it to fit in our little space...we have utilized the pieces to the best of our abilities.  This is part of the kitchen - probably as clean as it will ever get. 


Different angle, but this is what it used to look like on top and new kitchen on the bottom.  We have done lots of painting and patching and trim work...all tedious and measuring and time consuming.  All of it takes away from painting time...but life happens.  I am ready to get on to the tax prep now...argh.



Getting ready to HANG our show at the Salina Country Club in Salina, Kansas - along the I-70 corridor -  on Tuesday with Cher Olson, Gary Ozias and Jan Schoen. 
The show will hang for a month of March. 
If you are in the area, please stop by and take a look.

Where I Stand Sunday is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend my life standing. Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend our lives walking on. If you'd like to join me by posting a photo on Sunday of places you've been on your blog/photo hosting site/website, leave a comment on this post telling me where I can find you/your photo and I'll add a link to my sidebar so others can find you.


5 comments:

Leann said...

The internet is an amazing thing, that is so cool you can find out about the tractor.
Great job on the kitchen, sorry about taxes (we file extensions and curse about it later).
Get to painting when ya can!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Wow! What a major improvement to you Kitchen, it looks so bright and fresh now! Your hard work paid off. I'm in the middle of rearranging my studio, after the earthquake Sat am I've decided to not have any shelving above 3 shelves high, presently they are 5 shelves high. It was scary seeing that some of the shelves had shifted as much as they had and if they had fallen there would have been major damages. So now what to do so I don't loose so much floor space, but it's got to be done and it will work out I'm sure. Hope you get back into painting soon, we've got to do our taxes this month too, USA and Japans.

Vern Schwarz said...

Pattie, really nice kitchen, but hey, wow on that tractor. Look at those seriously aggressive tires...insert Tim the Toolman Taylor guy sounds here. That baby will git'er done.

Pattie Wall said...

Leann, to file an extension, to me, just prolongs the agony. Vern, this is really mini (wanna be) tractor. Victoria, to plan and design my studio for earthquake possibilities is beyond my realm of comprehension...stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pattie, Cool site and I like your idea of "where you're standing". I'll have to stop by and see what's up! I enjoyed reading about your tractor and cabinets.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!