Wednesday, March 23, 2011

An Acrylic Painting of a Rooster for Today

Barnyard Sentinel
6" x 6"
acrylic on wrapped canvas

This is Roopert, who lives on the Critter Farm in Oregon
I think he is a Barred Rock or Plymouth I have been corrected - silver-laced Wyandotte! (I know nothing about chickens except I would like to know more and have some.)
I usually don't have this much fun with acrylic..it dries too fast and eventually I wish I had used oil paint instead...but not today! 
I appreciated the quick drying time.  (And a rockin' photo always inspires me.)  

This is the '3rd canvas' to come across the easel in several days and the '1st one' in three, to make it off the easel and in front of the camera lens. 

This guy is so handsome, he would make a great main character in a children's book.  Roosters often have an interesting life.  They manage the hens and strut around looking (and sometimes being) tough.  I think this guy is just as handsome as they get!

8 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Just wonderful and acrylics, I'm impressed. Love the colors in this and his waddle is amazing. Is that the correct term for it? lol

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Barb! I will wait for a barnyard expert to let us know the correct terminology on that one. "Waddle" or "wattle" or???

Danni said...

Oooh, I love surprises like this!
Another lovely piece by you, Pattie.
Roopert is my 3 year-old, Silver-Laced Wyandotte rooster.
He has what is known as a "rose" comb (low and fairly flat) on top of his head and (what I think are longer than the norm for a Wyandotte) impressive wattles. These wattles make a funny slapping noise when he vigorously shakes his head. :-)

Pattie Wall said...

I would love to meet him! My grandmother used to have to put her rooster under a tub when I visited as a little girl, outhouse through chicken yard...little Pattie was bait!!

Sandy said...

Another painting that I just love. You do amazing work. I'm getting very excited....!!!!

Ellen Burkett said...

He is just FAB-U-LOUSSSSS!!

suzanneberry said...

Amazing!

Pattie Wall said...

Gracias Ellen, Suzanne and Sandy!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!