Sunday, September 2, 2012

Where I Stand Sunday

According to the Salina Journal today, Kansas is experiencing the 6th driest year since 1895 (that includes the "Dust Bowl" years in the 30's). 
Today, I was in Russell, Kansas for the art show opening
and stopped on the way home, 'here'.
This little concrete bridge interests me each time I pass it, so I pulled off the highway to just stand and look at it.  My car thermometer read 104 degrees at 5:30 P.M.  Hot, hot, hot.  This bridge is over a dried out creek bed - the farmer enters his fields on this little dirt road that goes over the bridge. 
 
So many fields have dried ponds and dried streams.  I feel for those cattle ranchers.  I don't know where the cattle in some areas get hydrated.  The corn crops look like those dried out stalks you see in October bunches around Halloween.  Just ruined.  (No, we didn't get ANY of the Hurricane rain.) 
 
Lots of people showed up for our art opening at the Deines Cultural Center - which is a true gem of central Kansas' art venues.  I was able to do some 'drive-by' photos of people viewing the show.
 
 
This was one classy gal, she was all decked out.
I got a kick out of her.
You just never know when one or more of these will turn into a figurative study.
I like using them, because they are 'anonymous'.
 
The news article I mentioned above also alluded to the fact that "drought years, usually come in pairs or multiple years".  I don't think I am ready for that one.
Last year was the 4th driest year, so there you go, two years down!
(Whoops!  I am not laughing...)
 

2 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I wish I could send you some of the rain we have received all Spring and Summer, Pattie. It looks like Ireland here - we have never had such a green August in all of the years I have lived here. The weather is definitely mixed up, has to make you wonder.

Nice to see those feet standing, even if it is in dry grass and boiling temperatures!

Pattie Wall said...

WE definitely live in the wrong place...wish you could send me some, too. It does make you wonder. But other's have endured it, I can too. My feet were daring yesterday and wore sandals..hobble, hobble, but I couldn't see wearing my shoes, socks and sometimes brace. Too hot. Thanks for stopping by, Claire.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!