Thursday, November 1, 2012

and another...

Thankfulness - Day Two
My life career-wise, has been a little lopsided.  I was an artist leading up to the years my daughter attended elementary school, then I went back to college (at age 37) and got a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education and a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction.  I spent 23 years in the elementary classroom, 7 years as a paraprofessional and 15 years as a classroom teacher. Now I have come full circle back to being an artist, once more.

I am so, so very thankful for those years.  They are very dear to me.  Although I am physically removed from the area where I spent those valuable years, I often think of the children I taught, the teachers and administrators I worked with, the parents of children who were so supportive in my endeavors, the student teachers who taught with me in my classroom and the learning I took in - not just learning to be the best teacher I could be, but the learning about people, patience, leadership and life ~ in general.  

Those years were so full of personal growth, it makes my head spin.  Opportunities opened at every turn. The sky was the limit.  My world was full of role models who taught me the very best practices in teaching.  I was fortunate and am honored to say I was a part of the best years anyone could have spent in a career of teaching.  I think of them as - "the good old days".  I have a huge box full of memories in photos...here are a few of those..some are already in albums and more difficult to scan.  Thankful to those mentioned above.  Thankful that I had the opportunity to teach. Thankful doesn't even express my emotion.


The Elk Creek years - me, Kathy, Nancy, and Sue.

Letting our butterflies go...

All those fun times with classroom parties - celebrations!  
To watch children's eyes light up ~ priceless!

Llama visits....I remember the janitor being a little nervous on this one.

Administrators... who when budgets were threatened came to the task of 'grounds keeping'.

My biggest joy was watching kids learn to read and write, 
enjoy it...AND help one another!


The Elk Creek and Welchester Years...(I taught at Governor's Ranch, as well)
I ran out of room on this collage - there are so many more people whose friendship and affiliation I appreciate and am so thankful for.  They were the 'diamonds' - most of whom are still teaching or administrating.  
As we always said - "YOU ROCK!"
P.S. I like this idea of being thankful for the entire month.  No way will I run out of things that I am thankful for...but it pushes and stretches me, all the same.

3 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

OH, what a beautiful post, Pattie! Lots to be thankful for each and every day. x

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Serena...yes, there is! This will help me get thru this next month of hard work on my ankle healing.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I can only imagine what a terrific, creative teacher you were , Pattie. Just as you look back on those wonderful years, I am sure that there are many of your former students who are grateful you helped to lead them on their way in this life!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!