Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's and "Painting 30 in 30" EVE

Happy New Year - 
'party hardy' 
and if you are doing that one, stay safe and have a designated driver on hand.  


Tomorrow, I will begin my 30 day journey of trying to complete a painting a day for 30 days.  I chose a theme this time - a subject I haven't done much - as a real challenge for me.  My subject matter will be 'interior/exterior (oh definitely outside) spaces' - some with furnishings/others..not ~ without the presence of humans or animals.

This series is called "Inviting Spaces" 
and I am looking forward to being able to interpret it - loosely. 
It will be an exploration of 'furnishings and furniture', and landscapes ~ 
as 'still life'.

In addition, I hope to utilize a variety of mediums 
(and I say HOPE - because as the grind kicks in, I tend to 
lean on the medium I am most comfortable with  - oil paint).

Here are a few paintings and concepts I admire 
when thinking of 'inviting spaces' done by others, strictly interior of course..
"Interior of the Restaurant at Arles"
Vincent VanGogh



"Sitting Pretty"
by Anne Blair Brown 
Brushwork Bootcamp #2 
demo and brushwork

"Balcony Room at Purveskjul"
Vilhelm Hammershoi 


Several Dutch Master's painted people in amazing 
interior spaces doing daily tasks. 
Another interesting composition choice developed 
by these painters is below.
I have included a short description of the concept of 
'doorkijkje'.

Les Paoufles (The Slippers)
Samuel van Hoogstraten
1658



From 
http://www.essentialvermeer.com/glossary/glossary_d_i.html
One of the most effective manners for 17th-century Dutch painters for achieving pictorial depth within domestic settings was the so-called doorkijkje, or see-through doorway which permits the spectator to view something outside the pictured room, whether it be another room, a series of rooms, a hallway, a street, a canal, a courtyard or a garden. The doorkijkje offers the painter and opportunity to create a more complicated architectural space and contemporarily expand narrative.

My choice of subject and perhaps the manner in which I paint them will hopefully create a story or further dialogue in the viewers thoughts - that is my goal anyway.  And if nothing else, they will create a feeling of welcoming, coziness, and a NARRATIVE to put one's self IN that space/place.

What do you hear, smell, feel - what emotions or memories does it evoke?  As I move along, it will be fun to hear from you via comments - any thoughts you might have. 


These paintings will also be offered FOR SALE - 

if you are interested. 

And as this year comes to a close, I wish you and yours a great 2014.  It will be a good year to paint..and that's what I am going to do!

Just an FYI - these are the 30 paintings I did in Jan. of 2013 

for this very same challenge.

My slate of activities is clean, my supplies are stocked 
and I am stoked and ready!!

For this great event and for other reasons, I have been working on a blog at Word Press this year.  Go on over for a visit, as it is JUST ART - no blogging - you can use it like a 'gallery'.

http://www.pattiewall.wordpress.com

P.S. I am committed to being fair to my readers and viewers to keep this blog SPAM free, therefore, I WILL delete ANY comments left that are outside advertisements or spam.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great! I'll be following your progress. I'm stepping out in faith and even though I am shaking in my boots I've joined this challenge too! Thanks for letting me know about this challenge!

Pattie Wall said...

Go For It!!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!