Saturday, April 23, 2016

Pastel Surface Prep

One of the important things I learned at Rita Kirkman's workshop last week was how to use Gatorfoam board for pastels.  
I was so excited I couldn't sleep last night as I 
received 10 - 16" x 24" Gatorfoam boards from
FoamboardSource.com.  ART BRAIN really kicks in, when new stuff arrives.


I took three of them and cut them down into usable sizes
6" x 6", 5" x 7", 6" x 8".....and 4" x 6" (which were what I could get out of
the leftover pieces).  The total waste is in the top right hand corner of the next photo.

Next step is to prime them with tinted acrylic color and pumice.

Art supplies really turn my crank!

I have been working on the 'pastel sort' by value - it is in it's final stages
and I realize I need to win the lottery to enhance my
collection.  I have been painting with the dregs for too long.
P.S. If you would like to see how it looks further on, and can't wait
for me to share it, go to Rita's blog HERE.


2 comments:

Laurie Mueller said...

Hi Pattie, thanks for all the great info! I have never tried pastels and boy it looks fun. But like you, I need to win the lottery before I start a whole new medium! Does gatorboard work for acrylic, and oils?

Pattie Wall said...

Hey Laurie ! Acrylics absolutely! I am priming them with acrylic mixed with pumice before I use the pastel. It's sturdy and doesn't bend like foamcore.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!