Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Portrait in Watercolor on a Snowy Day

Watercolor just tickles me...it is not very forgiving like other mediums I am most comfortable with.  Struggle...struggle.  Once I took the photo of this work, the temperature read a little different - in my stepping back phase.  At least he's not too paste-y looking.  I really have to push myself with 'warming' it up.  Having some 'quinacridone colors' would help.  This is my hubster...my sister-in-law took the photo that I used as my resource.  I think his 'ear' looks like the best ear I have ever done! 
What a lucky guy, when I need something familiar to use as practice
it's either him or my daughter.  ☺ It was a snowy morning..but the sun is shining brightly now!  I painted through the storm - in more ways than one - ha!

5 comments:

Ellen Burkett said...

Well he looks like a rugged and strong man...with a magnificent ear! Seriously, he does have a good strong "real" look about him. I love the work you did on his hair too. And BTW watercolors have never tickled me. We hate each other, although I love how they look when finished. I really like this one.

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Ellen! He IS - a strong and rugged guy. My trouble with WC is the steady hand..maybe I try to be too detailed...it's probably like oils...thinking soft edges and I go for that hard edge on WC....but that seems to be the nature of the beast. Making that hard/dry edge...so the colors don't all blend together...☺ Oh well, I like the journey of WC.

Leann said...

Wonderful portrait, Pattie. You've really got watercolor down.

Pattie Wall said...

Sure Leann - after about a zillion more! It's fun while I make my way there, though! Thanks!

Mark Bridges said...

You kicked it up a notch. That's good one.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!