Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Taking Time to Explore

 I have been taking several interesting and fun workshops ONLINE in the past few years.  It's a COVID dodge, as well as, time to learn new or refresh older art skills and just have fun. A recent class I found on Kara Bullock Art - was a "Dynamic Still Life" oil painting course by Sarah Sedwick.

I am not a big fan of 'still life' painting.  Perhaps I will be working on that ~ but the jury is still out.

What I took away from this course are all those things I already knew.  The correct way to produce art in oil or any medium for that matter.  I am so accustomed to true Alla Prima painting. In other words, just stepping up to the easel and going for it in one fell swoop. But this process makes more sense to me for serious 'artworking' and always has - I just don't take the time, usually.  Maybe that comes from the fact that I usually paint animals or people - and hoping to make them a true likeness doesn't take a lot of prep for me.

The still life was set-up by the instructor, then quick sketches were made to choose the most pleasing composition. I am not including my sketches - as I don't have photos of them at this time.

After sketching and picking a compositional pleasing one - we did a black and white value study.

I did this one on Arches Oleo oil paint paper - love this stuff! The onions look like garlic in this step - but this painting is supposed to be mostly about a value study.
The COLOR mixing part of this workshop was KEY.  I learned some new things about mixing color!

Next is using the substrate that is intended for the final painting, in this case, a 9" x 12" Raymar linen panel. DO an underpainting in golden brown


Then I added the darkest darks - the cast shadow and negative shadow spaces.

Next working on the color.

Last - the final painting.

"Green Onions"
9" x 12"
oil painting on Raymar linen board

I had an exciting end to this whole process when I was trying to get the finished canvas to an area in the studio that would not cast extreme light on it, as it was wet and would show shine. In the action of doing this, I dropped the painting face-down onto the floor near the cat box.  Of course, there were little pebbles of cat litter on the floor and they stuck all over the painting.  I had to spend about a half hour meticulously picking off the damage and repainting/touching up the places it had messed with the final piece...it was typical of me to drop it - those kinds of things happen often in my day.
CLUTZ.

 














6 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Oh dear! Sorry you had an oops.
Beautiful painting.

Speaking of classes, an exercise in a painting course...On a wall board, create a 3D still life gluing on found objects; paint it in bright lamp light positioned to cast strong shadows. Using style, Trompe l'oeil, is amazing.

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks! Tried it a couple of times. I just yesterday was thinking of a 'memorial of old kitsch' I have too much of and need to get rid of, paint them for the memory!

Cindy D. said...

Wow, each step is a beautiful piece and the final painting is a stunner! I am still in the middle of Ian Roberts' drawing composition class but some of those Kara Bullock classes look great.

I totally know what you mean about not taking the time. It seems like I waste so much time worrying about not painting instead of just doing it. It's a struggle! Plus I've been compiling a list of oil supplies (with non-toxic options) and I'm thinking about finally trying oils. But I also should clean this apartment and I have a full time job and have to walk the dogs... ugh! Not getting any younger tho. :)

Pattie Wall said...

I know you will find the way through the struggle, you and I sound alike in that respect. Recently I saw that Hobby Lobby has a great selection of water soluble oil paint supplies. I would switch over - have a friend who exclusively uses them and churns out lovely paintings - but I have lots invested in regular oils, so - no place to get rid of them other than on canvas - and that I am doing this week. Paint on!

Cindy D. said...

I thought about water soluble oil paints but I think I decided to try the walnut oil and walnut alkyd made by M. Graham, with regular oil paints. I have an apartment with a sliding glass door where I paint but it's been averaging 20-something degrees the last couple months! Plus I have dogs. So, I think I can be careful enough with the walnut mediums. Water soluble oils may be perfectly fine but they don't appeal to me as much.

Pattie Wall said...

You know, now that you mention it, my friend DOES use Alkyds. However, I think she still uses Gamsol. I know about having pets around. I have two studio cats, I always have to clean up when done for the day, and make sure the palette goes somewhere inside something, the painting gets secured away from them and lids on EVERYTHING. They are pretty good about knowing the routine, but that is since they were baby kittens. They are older, fatter and lazier nowadays. Wouldn't have it any other way. Lots of cat hair to deal with, for sure!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!