Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Painting for Today


"Tom" - 6" x 8" original oil painting

With camera usually in tow, I took a photo of my friends Tabby cat who likes to greet you by climbing up on the railing at your height as you ascend the stairs at the back door. Touted as the best cat she's ever had! He had such great sunlight on him from the south. I couldn't resist painting him. This one is painted on Raymar linen board, the texture is just right for me. My goal is to be more 'painterly' with animals. I often find myself, 'drawing' and the fur details get in the way...so minimal fur detailed brushstrokes, just around the ears and the whiskers.
SOLD - collection in Cawker City, Kansas, thanks!

7 comments:

Mark Bridges said...

Fur looks purrrfect. Happy cat in the sun. Warm here today.

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

What a great cat face. Beautiful brush work.

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Mark and Peggy! Although I don't have cats anymore, I sure do like them. They are such independent critters! Low maintenance. This one has such a purrsonality, up close and personal. LOL

Pattie Wall said...

Oh ya, very warm and nice here today, Mark! What a change...subzero to shirtsleeves!

Edward Burton said...

Wow, great cat, Pattie! I agree with Peggy - beautiful brushwork.

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks for looking Edward. I am busy painting more animals.

Carol said...

I love this cat portrait! The brushwork and shadows is excellent!

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!