Monday, February 26, 2018

Day 26 of Painting 30 Paintings in 3 Days

"Cheetahs"
8" x 7"
pastel and pastel pencil on Canson Mi Tientes paper

Today, I revisited my OLD way of doing pastels of animals.
I used to silhouette the animal, vignetting it in a sort of way,
without background objects or color of the space around it.
I let the colored paper do that work.
(As I look at this photo, I see something I need to do, oh well,
that is for tomorrow.)

Canson used to ALWAYS be my 'go to' substrate.
So today was a very cushy time at the drawing table.
That had to be - because prior to that I was tackling 
a pastel that wasn't working at all.

The photo reference for this is used with permission
by photographer Riaan Human.

Here is the pastel with an 11" x 14" matboard around it.



Cheetahs are fighters and have strong survival instincts, although it's interesting
to note, most don't reach adulthood. Why? You ask?  
According to studies (in one article I read of one in captivity), 
female cheetahs are terrible mothers.  But upon 
connecting with the photographer in Africa
he wrote, 
"Do not agree with the studies that Cheetahs are bad mothers.
Have followed them in the wild many times and believe them to be wonderful mothers.
Unfortunately they have to compete with and contend with lions, leopards
and other carnivores who does not think twice about killing a cub if they get a chance."

They are a symbol of:
STRENGTH
SPEED
DECISIVENESS
PERSISTENCE
EMPATHY and
CAMOUFLAGE.



2 comments:

Laurie Mueller said...

WOW! Pattie how did I miss the last few of yours?! The armadillo-so beautiful. But all of them . And this..... very dramatic look against the gray background. You are so talented.

Pattie Wall said...

Thank you Laurie. Think my next couple will be done on that paper, if I can locate it in the trailer, just had this little piece hanging out in another tablet. Love this stuff.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!