Monday, January 19, 2009

Another Portrait for Today

"Deep Thought"

9" x 14" soft pastel and pastel pencil on Canson paper

Again, I used a b & w photo and challenged myself to see the colors in the face, mainly the lights and darks, I made up the skintone...it was very fair in the photo, you could tell, lots of white. Most interesting in the photo were her eyes - very thoughtful and sort of lucid. Looking for the darkest darks, it was her eyebrows, surprisingly enough. The angle at which the photo was shot was interesting too, from above - looking down. The 3/4 face turn is difficult for me. Another reason to choose this pose. I see a little area under the chin that I need to rework, otherwise it's done. I imagined this person to be having a private conversation in her head - maybe trying to figure out what to do next.


Lucky number 13 of 15 - almost there!

1 comment:

Peggi Habets Studio said...

Nice graphic feel to this portrait. I like your simple negative shapes and flat color. Very nice.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!