Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Thrilla in Manila


"Dad in the Phillipines" - WIP (work in progress)
on Canson paper
Near the end of WWII, my dad was stationed in the Phillipines.
He was in the Army.
Mom and Dad have these great sepia colored photos of him in their albums. I borrowed this one...and had to give it a try today. I have lots more to do, but I like the way it's going.
I think, although I am using black and white charcoal pencil, I will fill in the sky with a grey blue and the treeline with a shadow green - we'll see.
Caution - don't eat a handful of Frito's and then work on your pastel. My left hand left grease marks at the bottom. Argh! It will be covered.

4 comments:

Mark Bridges said...

Looks like it's coming along well. Did you put in those sketch division lines in the face to landmark the face or just place eyes nose etc.?

Pattie Wall said...

Hi mark, I put those in to get the right tilt to the head...had trouble with that in a painting I had tried before and thought I would get a better landing space for it this time.

Vern Schwarz said...

Pattie, this is progressing beautifully, I really like the strong contrasts and interesting pose. Try eating with your right hand...mmm Fritos!

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks Vern. Sad news is, I ate it with both hands...it's that afternoon stretch to dinner "gotta have something" time.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!