Thursday, March 5, 2020

Weaving - Part II

Last post, I shared my newest 'creative journey' I am taking, it fits into my days, along with my usual LOVE of doing mark-making on paper and canvas.  Today, allow me continue to tell you MORE about 'weaving'!! 

Here are a few more projects that were made on my smaller Cricket Loom. 
(Dish towels and some more scarves.)



Before any warping takes place on the LARGE loom, I needed the utility of a 'warping board' - a place where you can measure off your lengths of yarn/thread that will be SLEYED through the reeds on the loom.  Warping boards are pretty simple pieces of equipment and some people come up with inventive ways to measure their warp.

I searched the internet for an idea of a DIY warping board, as I knew DH and I could build one (we build lots of things).
I found this diagram and Howard Ruttan's explanation and plans are HERE.
Mine is not the exact copy of Mr. Ruttan's, but it does a really fine job.  We built it for sturdiness and utility.  Since there is NO WHERE to put it permanently in the studio, it hangs on the hooks that DH made for it, it is UP high on the wall and out of the way, right behind where the bench is located. 
 I used OAK for my four sides.


When I need it, it lifts and drops down to the bottom 2 hangars.  
All so convenient and made for the long haul!

The first weaving project I put on the BIG loom was some more 'mug rugs' - aka coasters.
These are fun to make.  I used 8/2 carpet thread for the warp and cut up fabric into strips for the weft.  Once you warp the loom, which should be a lot of warp, you have room to make MANY mug rugs.  I made four sets of four each.  Here are two of the sets.

 Come back tomorrow to read about 'weaving rag rugs' on the loom.






2 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...


Even with photos, the process isn't easy for my brain to grasp. If I read over the instructions a few times I should understand what warping thing is.

Pattie Wall said...

Hi Salty Pumpkin, if you are referring to the Inkle, my loom came with great instructions. I imagine it helps that I had a tiny bit of a lesson on it at that class, too. However, the BIG loom is much more difficult than an Inkle.

More NEW art pieces

  Lukki - watercolor 9" x 12" acrylic done from Unsplash ph ref, thanks C Deluvio!